The recent discussion of the proposed defamation of josh wink on mailing lists etc, and recent calls from lawyers, makes this post not 100% off topic, I guess. Someone sent me a link to the site below, and from what has been happening to listmembers recently, it might be a good place to start to get more information. The clearinghouse is run by the Electronic Frontier Foundation and 4 law school clinics, so it is a good place to start.

From site:
"Do you know your online rights? Have you received a letter asking you to remove information from a Web site or to stop engaging in an activity? Are you concerned about liability for information that someone else posted to your online forum?"

http://www.chillingeffects.org/

And a few other good places:
http://www.eff.org/br/
http://www.epic.org/