> It's an interesting area though; what gets printed after DJs names on
> ads/flyers. More often than not these days, it's a roll-call of labels this
> person has recorded for - which of course tells you absolutely nothing about
> their background/rep/abilities as a DJ...

I don't know - I find it useful to know what labels a person's associated with.
At least having that information might give you some idea of
what sort of music they're about. This might be more true for live PAs than for
DJs, though.

>It's even more confusing when DJs
> don't play their own records. I remember going to see Rush play at Lost but
> wondering why he wasn't playing his own productions. Frustrating for me,
> because I really wanted to hear the stuff out, but then it's up to him what
> he spins, of course.

I do agree about this - I'd *love* to hear Theo Parrish play a set where he
plays some of his weirder material. That's primarily where my
interest in him lies - in those weird, messed-up sides he comes out with
("Dance of the Drunken Drums", etc), and not as much his DJing
(though that's top-notch as well, of course).

bvl
--
http://www.chromedecay.org