Nu Groove is one of the most important and yet overlooked labels
in the history of electronic dance music.  They had well over 100
releases and yet I hardly hear anyone talk about them any more.

Voices "Over Me" is one of a handful of records that really stirred
me up early in my time in all this.  Still in my heavy DJ rotation
after more than a decade.  The Nu Groove catalog is full of gems,
lots of near-misses and a bunch of clunkers, and every one that I
have heard has *something* fresh, interesting or just plain odd
enough to catch your attention.

A lot of the best tracks are on the compilation that came out a few
years ago, including one that's a big favorite for me, "The True
Story of House" by L. B. Bad, which epitomizes that dark and deep
sound and has an absolutely unique semi-processed spoken voice
track.  This style was honored and parodied in a nice way by Danny
Tenaglia in many of his tracks, like "Walk" -- "it's dark in here,
it's hot in here, it's wet in here ... I *like* it here!!"

There are few labels that have had the stylistic reach, within a
given genre, that Nu Groove did.  I miss that sense of adventure in
house music.  Little bits of it pop up now and then but the identikit
possibilities in cut-and-paste software has overwhelmed the quirky
results of experimenting with cheap gear and pushing it to the max
while still making it, without irony, "dancefloor friendly."