1.) if you have a mixer, you only really need a soundcard with 2 mono ins
and 2 mono outs with ASIO support.  there are a few good ones that fit here,
but some dont have onboard midi.

suggested card:  m-audio audiophile, 2 RCA mono ins, outs, midi, spdif in
and out. costs under 200

secondary choice: echo mia, 2 1/4" ins, outs, no midi, no spdif, but for
midi you could use an m-audio midisport (usb midi adapter)

without a mixer in your setup, you may decide to go for a card with lots of
inputs and outputs, like the m-audio delta 1010.  10 ins and outs, and a
shitload of other inputs and outputs of various sorts, ~$800

as for your problems with live, this is probably one of two things, either
your sound card latency is set too low or to the wrong driver type, or you
are playing a lot of samples at once and live cant read from the drive fast
enough.  you have to keep in mind that Live is made to read the samples from
the hard drive as they play, not load them into memory.  this has the
benefit of keeping ram free for DSP and fx, but it is quite demanding on the
disk/media subsystem.

I play out with live often and have had no real problems yet..  I have a
concise live setup in terms of gear, but I for anyone looking to get serious
with it, I suggest a midi knob box ala doepfers, kenton, midiman (i use the
oxygen 8), evolution, frostwave, ect..

I'll try to help anyone that has questions relating to the above topics,

-Joe

fux