>From the Now I've Seen Everything Dept:

"Maxygen's scientists and lawyers are proposing [to] encode the DNA
sequences as MP3s or other music files and then copyright these genetic
'tunes'....As the 'authors' of these DNA-based songs, Maxygen could, in
theory, control the rights to the compositions for 95 years or more--as
opposed to the 17 years given under current patent law."

here's something that i'm not quite snagging: wouldn't that mean, that they would have the copyright to the sequence AS A SONG? what i'm trying to say is that from what i'm reading, is that they're assuming that if they encode the sequence as a song, that they have the copyright over its entire existence. But what *I'm* assuming is that they're probably wrong, and that they would merely have the copyright of its existence as a song. Kinda like how you can take a picture, scan it, and it you can turn that information into an actual song sequence. But that doesn't mean you'd own the mona lisa.