That's the classic Chicago style of DJing - play with the EQ until you can't play with it anymore.

If anyone remembers DJ Hyperactive he used to do the same thing - drop the bass sometimes 3 out of every 4 beats.

Anyway I've seen Boo Williams spin a few times and always liked him. I agree that the EQ-tweaking doesn't work as well with jazzy house as it does with techno but I've always liked him.

I'm happy to say that as a result of the festival I now have a(nother)
fantastic memory of Detroit.  Other than the fact that some dingleberry
paparazzi tried to take a picture of my friend going into sugar shock and
the fact that I heard that the crowd was as ready to fight as I remember
Detroit audiences being, it was an all-around blast.  I really enjoyed what
I heard of Kenny Dope and Roy Davis Jr.'s sets, but I felt that Boo Williams
(CPOP stage, Chicago guy from about 5-7 p.m. on Sunday) was dropping the
damn bass out of the mix WAY too much.  It seemed like he'd drop about 3 of
every 4 beats.  Maybe that's his style, but if so, it just didn't work for
me.  The music was great, but he did it a disservice the way he spun it.