----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kohlstrand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 6:56 PM
Subject: [313] basic channel

> I'm going to expose myself as uncouth and dorky here, but, my Basic
> Channel question would be: "Why did the Basic Channel CD suck so?"
>
> (Okay, that's melodramatic. Please, no thread about how the CD ruled.
> Fine. Different strokes. I respect you. Respect me...)
>
> What I really mean is: The vinyl was so cool. Up. With it. Smart, yet
> fun. Each record built upon the previous record, and they all hung
> together fairly well. They sang with one voice. And while a couple of
> the tracks ran toward the ambient end of the spectrum, these moments
> seemed (to me) side salads and not entrees.
>
> But the CD: I haven't pulled it in a long time, but, as I recall, it is
> loaded with ambient, beatless shishing and swooshing. I found it a real
> disappointment -- one drum machine short of a good time.

Agreed it's all a matter of taste, but if you liked the vinyl, you should
like the CD, since it was just a compilation of the same BC material.
Perhaps you should give another listen? Here's the tracklist from
http://www.circonium.de/music/bc.html

BC-CD

q loop
e2e4 basic reshape
mutism
quadrant dub I edit
(radiance II) edit
(lyot remix) edit
presence edit
(q1.1) edit
q1.2
(radiance I) edit
(radiance III) edit 5:28

AFAIK e2e4 was the only track released elsewhere, and that was a BC remix of
Paperclip People (remaking e2e4), released as the B Side to "Throw" on
Planet E.

I'd complain aboot the metal boxes if I was to complain about anything, but
I think it was probably the one situation where their view into the future
was less than crystal clear. The billions of pieces of CDs in tin boxes
sitting around my apartment can attest to that. :) Can you really slag these
guys for such a cool idea though?

Tristan
http://www.mp313.com <- Music
http://www.metrotechno.net <- DC techno + more