On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, LR2 wrote:

> Poking around a bit, I've been able to find a Wackies CD called African
> Roots Act 2 and that's it.  What other CDs have been re-issued (or are
> going to be re-issued) and what sources stock them?  Also, are there
> some that are more "BC-esque" than others?

None of them are particularly "BC-esque," apart from the grainy, eq-heavy
production techniques used on the dub versions that accompany certain tracks
on certain discs, like this one:

Horace Andy Meets Naggo Morris & Wayne Jarrett: Mini Showcase (Wackies
1716/1722)

Others now out:

The Meditations: I Love Jah (Wackies 510)
Junior Delahaye: Showcase (Wackies 1382)
Love Joys: Lovers Rock (Wackies 2383) & Reggae Vibes (Wackies 3239)

Try bentcrayon.com, as I seem to remember seeing them in stock there.

Though not part of the recent re-releases organized by BC, don't miss one
of the wickedest Horace Andy albums he's ever made: Dance Hall Style. Wayne
Jarrett's Bubble Up is also a classic.

>From more recent years, an album by Japanese melodica player, Takashi,
backed by Wackie's Riddim Force is well worth a listen (especially if
you're a fan of the late Augustus Pablo). It's entitled Melodic Moods.
Sugar Minnott's latest, From the Heart (on Black Wacks), also has some
solid tracks. Lots of computer riddims, but in a different style to BC,
& R & S.

I live in a strongly West Indian area of Toronto, & am lucky enough to
have an old-style record store nearby--which could have been transplanted
directly from Kingston--laden to the gills with 30 years of reggae history
in almost total disarray. Digging round for an hour or two often yields a
Wackies gem or two. These types of laid back, family-run store are where
you should also look for this material. Support the originators.