----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul V" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 9:27 AM
Subject: [313] Adult Trans Am Thoughts

> Hey all;
>
> Any thoughts or reviews of the ADULT/Trans AM show in Detroit last night?
>
> cheers
>
> P.V

Chiming in a bit late on this one, but they just played DC last night, so
there you have it. :)

First off, the economy of shows is completely whack when I only had to pay
$10 to see three great bands last night, and I usually have to pay that much
to see local DJs.

El Guapo were very tight. A good 3-piece, with everyone playing lots of
different instruments, and a very healthy dose of electronics on-board. Both
El Guapo and Trans Am used a Nord Lead 2, and seemed to have an awful lot of
fun with the wooden pitch-bend knob. We only caught the last few songs of
the first set, but I'd definitely go to see 'em again. ADULT was ADULT. Not
too much to say. Lots of tight electroclash in their uniquely punkish way.
It was a lot of fun to see them live, and hear some new material. Does
anyone know what song has really fast vocals and every verse end with
"Stop"? That was a really nice track, and I didn't recognize it. Their music
really carries over well to a live performance, even if it's very
laptop-driven, probably because they're both obviously still doing
something.

Trans Am really stole the show though. They opened up with 2 drummers and 2
keyboards, then pretty much everyone switched instruments throughout the
show. The drumming was really energetic throughout, and the
more-than-healthy dose of Nord was beautiful. It would have been interesting
to see the same show in Detroit too, since the home towns are inverted for
ADULT and Trans Am. I think maybe 30 people in the fairly large audience
knew who ADULT were here. It was a very indie-rock crowd.

Tristan
http://www.mp313.com <- Music
http://www.metrotechno.net <- DC techno + more
http://www.metatrackstudios.com <- DC DJ/Production studios