From: Michael Lees [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: dinsdag 27 augustus 2002 16:36
Cc: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] history of trainspotting

Trainspotting? Does it not refer to the art of being a train spotter? Originally it was used to refer to someone who collects train numbers? ie. they sit at a train station with a little book and pencil noting the numbers on the side of trains. Train spotters were known for being obsesive and slightly geeky about their topic (trains). So now I think the term trainspotter has come to mean someone who *has* to know everything about a certain topic. It's not just used to refer watching DJ's.

The term came long before the film.

T.J.Johnson wrote:

I was thinking deeply last night as usual ;)

Did the term for "trainspotting" (people watching you
DJ with a hawk's eye for whatever reason...) come
before or after the movie "Trainspotting?"  Why do so
many people refer to it as "trainspotting?"  Is it
because when people do this, it makes the DJ nervous
and promotes a "trainwreck?"  Is is because the DJ puts
you in a trance similar to the one brought on by heroin?

It's like butta.  Discuss amongst y'selves.  I'm
getting v'clempt...

T!

www.acidsonicresearch.com  <~~go here
www.mp313.com  <~~and here