At 02:38 PM 9/4/2002, Maarten Baute wrote:
Hi,

I just bought my first "yellow magic orchestra" lp for only 2 euro. It is
called BMG, and is from 1981.
Can anyone point me out to a decent biography of these guys. And can anyone
describe there role in the develpment of electronical music?

Certainly not to knock AMG (Hi John! :-), but Nick Kent is probably *the* YMO whiz on the internet.
http://www.artcontext.org/artskool/jem/ymo1.html

Wow...what a question. I have been a J-pop fan for decades and I could say more than anyone prolly wants to hear on this subject. One could skip backwards to Rydeen or Tong Poo, but I'd rather tell you to go out and track down 1981's "Technodelic" and judge their impact for yourself. Grab Sakamoto's "B2 Unit", Hosono's "Philharmony" and "SFX" for starters on some of the bazillion solo projects (not to mention the whole incestuous Bill Nelson, Masami Tsuchiya, Sylvian/ex-Japan members' projects, Dolby, etc.) and production/guesting appearances (Sandii & the Sunsetz, anyone?). See if you can grab the 1993 'reunion' record, "Technodon" while you're at it. "Naughty Boys" has some great moments. Great to see YMO dropped on this list; they are often unfairly passed over when examining the roots of modern electronic music. For an idea about the how wide ranging the influences are, check Hosono's collaborations (same for Sakamoto). BTW, there are some *great* YMO lists available via yahoogroups - pne of which has an ftp where (only) rare and deleted tracks can be checked out. (YMOrare)

                                                        jeff

                                                jeff