----- Original Message -----
From: "Sakari Karipuro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tristan Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "313" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [313] which dj invented + 15

> Tristan Watkins wrote on Wed, 4 Sep 2002 about following:
>
> > > 150 bpm, play longer sets and build your set, and buy enough records
> > > build the set from 117bpm to 150bpm. that's the right way.
> >
> > It's definitely not the best way to do it, but I can't say I'd never do
it
> > again. I really like to play those Theo Parrish records and they don't
get
> > played out much unless I have +/-16 (or 15 if you rather). Of course, my
> > solution should just be to get the Vestax, no?
>
> mmm i dunno. i just usually think that tracks are done for some tempo
> for some reason. and i like to keep the tracks as they were intended to
> be. of course you need to always pitch up/down while playing but +16 is
> way overkill. if playin house i try to keep in between -2 - +4, with
> techno i can go up'n'down more but for example at +8 the bass goes
> awful. kinda weak. and think about vocals of house-tracks at +16.
> usually ruins the track totally.. kills the vibe totally because they
> start sounding like how gabber-heads used vocals - pitched too up.

Guess I'm the maverick pitch shifter... ;) There are definitely tracks
(especially vocal) that shouldn't be abusively pitched, but I sometimes like
the extra freedom to go to +/-12 (more than that usually sounds funny to my
ears). I also have a tendency to go all over the musical map in my sets, and
I have this rule of thumb that if it can be mixed, you may as well do it. I
have no hang-ups about changing pitch with non-beat matching mid-set, but I
really don't like to do it a lot and I get off on doing mixes most people
won't do b/c of pitch issues. It makes for a unique mix.

So anyway, I haven't had my tables pitched in at least a year and haven't
mixed on pitched tables in that long either. Last night I was opening for a
hip hop band , Goodiepal and Kevin Blechdom in Iowa City and the tables were
(lo and behold) pitched! The scratch DJ for the hip hop wanted the extra
range. I can't say I was all that thrilled, especially with a bag full of
about 1/2 broken beat records. It's *really* hard to mix dense broken beat
records on pitched tables, and possibly due to the lingering effects of this
thread I was hesitant to be too pitch-abusive, so... I spent most of the set
in or near the deadspot and it was really hard! Somehow it worked (at least
60 minutes into the recording I'm listening to now). I'll try and get it
encoded so you guys can hear a zany set at +/-16 without too much
gabber-esque abuse. Unfortunately one of the tables was playing in mono all
night (Kent told me this and I forgot to correct it on the next mix) so I'll
have to encode it in mono. :( Mixing with one monitor can be lame.

As an aside, I find most of the crowds I play for don't know 80% of the
records I'm playing, so you sorta need ask yourself how much you should
respect the original 'pitch intention'. If people aren't any the wiser, and
it sounds good, why not do it? I know it sounds really weird to me when I
play my own productions at weird pitches, but I'm not going to go as far as
to say that it's disrespectful or abusive to pitch records drastically (plus
or minus). Some techno sounds really good at -12...

Tristan
=====
Text/Mixes: http://phonopsia.tripod.com
Music: http://www.mp313.com