The Record Collector has been around for ages - the first one was in old Redford not quite 20 years ago. A second one was opened on 8 or 9 and Grand River - now it's in Ferndale and has been there a while, just across the street and down the road (west) from Record Time. Warren Westfall manages the place and is a muso and a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge (although he doesn't keep up with techno details). I used to work for Warren when he managed Full Moon records in Pontiac (late 70s, early 80s) and at that time he was the only person I knew with more vinyl than me. I think he had well over 10,000 pieces at that stage. Although he's very eclectic in taste, these days he gets excited about neoclassical stuff. Warren used to manage Ann Arbor's "Algebra Mothers" in the throes of Detroit's punk movement (late 70s- early 80s). His store is a GREAT place to go binning for used vinyls - especially vintage 80s material. I picked up mint Vicious Pink 12"s there last year for *cheap*. He gets some more recent things in as well, but it's more about used things. Great place to shop and Warren always hires people who know and are excited about music, so it's a great place to learn as well. Tell him I said "hi" if you check it out. He's a big guy, late 40s, brown hair and probably a light beard. After that, drive over to Livernois and 8 mile and stop by my friend Deans's bar, The Buddha Lounge. Great place and Dean is very cool. In fact, I have a list of greetings you can take to various places - y'know, people I nee to see whom I haven't for ages. And would you mind picking up a few groceries for me while you're out? :-)

                                                                jeff