I'm posting this because it states something that hasn't been stated yet.

Laura was a _strong_ woman.  Confident, assertive and still in this society
let alone the microcosm of male dominance that is the techno scene this is not
taken well.  This is what made her controversial.  In thinking I realized that
even though it's been over a decade there still aren't alot of women like her
with any sort of presence in "the scene".  Though I'm sure she would not want
to make an issue of this she helped forge a path that made it just a little
bit easier for women behind to follow.  I still lay claim to being a feminist
and so her exit to _me_ leaves
a gaping hole that will be very difficult to fill.