I can't remember how or where I met Laura, but I do
remember right from the beginning that she exuded this
strong presence and I knew I was standing in front of
an intelligent woman who had lessons to tell and that
I better listen and learn.

        What was most amazing, for me, about Laura was that
she was a woman in an industry shaped, molded and run
by men. She stood ground with her charm, grace,
confidence and intelligent, honest way with words. She
was the first woman I had met in Detroit who spoke to
me honestly, openly and was always willing to be there
when I needed to hear straightforward, honest answers.
In an industry full of wolves in sheep's clothing,
Laura was never one to hide behind lies or blame.
Laura was the first woman to teach me to never
apologize for who I was or what I believed needed to
be said, but rather to embrace it, for believing in
our own truths only makes us stronger. When I looked
at Laura and what she was doing with her passion for
music, I saw a mentor and a woman who lived life to
its fullest. She constantly challenged and encouraged
my writing and my goals in life. She did this for all
those she knew, whether for five minutes or five
years. She truly believed in Detroit, like no other,
and she always defended it until the last words were
spokenÂ…and those always usually belonged to her.

        Laura's life had a mission and a constant message.
The impact of her absence is only to be foreseen, but
is already deeply felt by all those Laura touched with
her heart lit beautiful smile, passionate words and
loud laughter. She danced, loved and listened like no
other. You knew when Mr.Gavoor was on the dance floor
that there was an experienced and true diva present.
It was there that Laura's soul flew to its highest. It
is there that I will miss her most.  It's on the dance
floor that she will continue to make heaven a brighter
place.

        Thank you Laura, for your fervor, your grace and
lessons you have taught me about love, life and how to
treat people. May you continue to make incredible
music in the heavens, as you have on Earth. May your
essential presence in Detroit's music history never
fade with the passing days. May those whom you have
touched never forget you and your love for life.

Thank you, God Bless you
God Bless your family.
Diana Potts