When Planet E had a release party in Detroit (at some venue down around
Chene Park...there were large, Viking-looking torches on the wall) for
"Psyche - Elements 1989-1990" Robert Hood played a live PA with a
TR-909, SH-101, and a little Boss (I think) sampler.  I was standing
near his set up listening to Claude Young DJ and Robert walked over to
the bar to talk to some friends.  This kid, who'd obviously had a bit
too much to drink, came dancing and stamping around the table and
stepped on one of the 1/4 inch audio cords plugged into the back of the
909.  He did it with such velocity the 909 flipped up into the air and
spun around for what seemed to be an eternity before crashing violently
to the ground.  I was mortified!  The guy stumbled off and I picked up
the 909 like it was the holy grail or something (I'd never seen one in
real life at that point) and set it back up on the table.  When Robert
came back, I let him know what had just happened.  He plugged in his
headphones, twiddled a few knobs and pressed a few buttons, and told me
everything was just fine.  He even smiled.  I was really amazed by his
laid back actions...if it'd been my gear I would've been freaking out.
Anyway, when it came time for his set, it was hard and bangin'.  He did
a lot of the classic tweaking of the 909 bass drum to build excitement.
In between songs, he used the sampler to play down tempo jazz loops
while he set up for the next song.  It was a great, danceable set that
everyone really seemed to appreciate.  I remember Claude Young beaming
from ear to ear and bobbing his head in appreciation.

After Robert's PA, I believe Carl Craig DJ-ed for a bit while Dan Bell
set up to do a live PA.  Dan was really struggling with something in his
setup...a technical detail of some sort seemed to be really annoying
him.  The sound guy came and looked at it and Dan scowled at it.
Eventually, they seemed to work something out and he began his set.
Right into "Losing Control" where he worked his Korg MS-20 filters on
the vocal line.  It sounded great to me but he still looked really
pissed off.  He only played for about 15 minutes and eventually threw
his headphones down in disgust and the PA was over.  Oh well, at least
the 15 minutes were good to me!

What a night...Carl Craig, Claude Young, Robert Hood, and Dan Bell.
Lineups like that don't come around too often.

Leslie Rollins