This is so weird. I have e-mailed this 10 times and it hasn't come through.
So I changed the header!

> Not sure about how May got involved

Answer:

Initially Hillage hit it off with Derrick May, one of techno's triumvirate
of godfathers, and he was later introduced to May's protege, Carl Craig,
among others from the Motor City. "It goes back to our roots - we were
involved in this European electro-rock movement, but also we were quite
interested in certain leftfield aspects of fusion - like Weather Report,
Miles Davis and also Funkadelic and George Clinton, who of course comes from
Detroit. Bernie Worrell, the keyboard player of Funkadelic, was the first
synthesiser player in Detroit. He did definitely influence people like Juan
Atkins and Derrick May. So we had a lot of common influences. When I started
System 7 our first record was on Ten Records - this is the dance arm of
Virgin Records at the time and of course this is the label that also put out
the first-ever techno compilation in 1989. Obviously I'd heard this and I
was really excited by it and asked the record company if they could arrange
a meeting with Derrick May, and he was keen as well, and we met him in 1990.
We've known him for, like, 10 years."