If we're talking about the same pictures then they're by an artist called Ernie Barnes who did quite a lot of album cover work, particularly during the seventies. For instance, the image that appears on the label of KDJ 6 - I Can't Kick This Feeling When It Hits/Music People (what an extraordinarily good 12" BTW) is taken from the cover of Marvin Gaye's 'I Want You' LP. The full picture is titled 'Sugar Shack' and is strangely reminiscent of the opening scenes in the video for Michael Jackson's 'Smooth Criminal', but maybe I should stop right there before I damage my limited cred any further.... Ernie Barnes' work can also be seen on the cover of Curtis Mayfield's 'Something To Believe In' as well as albums by Donald Byrd and The Crusaders.

The Camp-Lo cover looks like a pastiche of 'Sugar Shack', particularly since Barnes' work is probably rather expensive. Is that album any good BTW?

Dan

  hey guys... gals.  where do the illustrations on early KDJ EP's come from?
i'm speaking of releases like KDJ-4.  the artwork reminds me of a camp-lo
album cover from "uptown saturday night".  just curious.

  peace,
  lrh