if anyone cares,
i've been using the Tannoy Proto-J's for well over 2 years now, powered by my Samson Servo 260 monitor power amplifier.

they are absolutely amazing. i have always loved the frequencies on them as i don't feel that i have ever under-bass'd, or over-bass'd any of my recordings with them. and i dont use a subwoofer.

not to mention they usually run about $175-$200 per matched pair.

1 negative point is they are not magnetically shielded, which can really screw up several computer monitor displays that use tubes (the magnet from the speakers will destroy the screen). this wasnt a problem for me when i got them, as i was completely hardware based... and once i started bringing the computer in my setup - i got a 15" LCD screen which is not effected by the magnet. now i just run my laptop, a couple analog filters, and my tannoy's.

if you dont use a big honkin' computer screen in your production setup, i say check them out. the eq balance is the best i have found for under $1,000 a pair.

-Adam Jay