Yeah - Uptown. I live in Uptown - it's southwest of downtown Minneapolis
and the two main cross streets are South Hennipen Ave and West Lake Street
. It used to be really run down warehouses way back in the late 70s and
then during the 80s it was turned into a bunch of corporate chain stores
like the Gap - now it's a mix of small boutiques and corporate stores.
Prince used to have store there where you could buy all sorts of Prince
stuff - the entire store was purple - it wasn't very successful. In the 80s
the whole neighborhood used to be a hang-out for punkrockers (myself
included). I don't know what the official designation of Uptown is but I
would say it's about a 10 block radius. On one side it's bordered by huge
expensive mansions (Lake of the Isles) - a couple of lakes (Calhoun and the
before mentions Isles) - a big cemetary (Lakewood Cemetary) where some
famous Minnesotans are buried (a favorite hang out for the goths in the 80s
- myself included) - and Lyndale Avenue (which I live on) - and Loring Park
on the other end (near downtown).
It is generally boring - just a bunch of shops and restaraunts really. Very
trendy and a "safe" place for suburbanites to come on the weekend.
Oh and then there is the Uptown art fair which happens every summer which
brings in a whole bunch more of suburbanites and they over run the place
and then leave a big f*cking mess - most of us living here leave town that
weekend or rent out your driveway or parking space for $5/hr.
There used to be a decent music club called the Uptown Diner - a very small
stage but brought in some great bands. When Oasis was first selling out
stadiums in the UK - they played the "Uptown" and I was among about 150
other people who were able to see them on a stage that was no bigger than
my bedroom. If you go into anyone's kitchen who has lived in Uptown for
more than a few years they should have a set of drinking glasses with the
Uptown Diner's logo on it - that's because they serve bloody marys in those
and you can keep the glass. You would see a band one night and then the
next morning you and your mates would go back to the Uptown the next
morning to nurse your hangover - now they just serve the greasy food and
the music is now crap. They fired their booking agent who went then to the
400 Bar clear across town.
The lakes are the best thing about Uptown. That and a few decent record
shops and some skate/bike stores. Nice arthouse movie theaters (Uptown and
Lagoon theaters)
http://www.uptownminneapolis.com/

this link has pictures that seem to have been taken during the "art" fair -
that's why you see tons of people walking through the middle of the
intersection of Lake Street and Hennipen Ave - any other day and you'd be
run over by three lanes of traffic.
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/uptown.html

best to visit in the summer during Pride week - the parade is great and the
clubs are better then too
MEK

                      "xx xx"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       313@hyperreal.org

                      l.com>                   cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: (313) moodyman
track ID
                      12/08/02 05:04 PM

Checked my CD interview Detroit was not mentioned in the original
interview,
it was uptown.
"Prince" was talking about Minneapolis or Minne-Wood, (Because of Prince's
influence, Minneapolis became known as "Minne-wood"),  place where "Prince"

grew up.
Here a part of the interview.

MOJO: Growin' up in Minne-wood, as it's been now called, simply because
that
is the hot point on this planet right now.

PRINCE: Well, it's been called a lot of things, but it's always Uptown to
me.

MOJO: Uptown?

PRINCE: Yes.

MOJO: What was it like growin' up Uptown?

PRINCE: Pretty different. Uh, kinda sad, to be exact. (laughs) I mean, the
radio was dead, the discos was dead, ladies was kinda dead, so I felt like,

if we wanted to make some noise, and I wanted to turn anything out....I was

gonna have to get somethin' together. Which is what we did. We put together

a few bands and turned it into Uptown. That consisted of a lot of bike
riding nude, but ya know...it worked. We had fun. That's why I wanted to
come here on my birthday...'cuz I wanted to give them a little taste of
where we live and get a little taste of where you all live. To me, this is
like my second home. If I could spend the night at somebody's crib, I
would...'cuz this hotel.... They're real nice to us, but, this bed is hard!

P.S. : On the eve of his birthday in 1985, Prince gave a surprise interview

to legendary Detroit disc jockey the Electrifying Mojo. He had never
offered
a live radio interview before.