sean deason wrote:
> From: "techno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > It reminds me of the Art Of Noise and Yellow in the 1980's, more about
> > technology and experimentation than good music, the use of sampling was
> > supposed to sound hip and sophisticated at the time but now sounds
> > extremely dated.

It wasn't "supposed to", it *did* sound hip and sophisticated, yet quirky and
fun and danceable, which added to its appeal. The technology also was
limited.. 6 and 8 bit samplers with hardly any memory, bathed in reverb.

> I'd have to agree with you on this point. Listening to the "Essential Yello"
> CD got pretty old after just one listen. There are a few incredible gems
> ("Vicious Games" and...and... okay maybe just one gem) on there but the
> overuse of "clever" samples really gets on your nerves after a while.

Smash Records' idea of what Yello tracks are essential is up for debate.
Likewise with the numerous Art of Noise compilations that omit their finest
moments or remix them into oblivion.

Also remember that music experiences revivals. In 1991 I thought all Kraftwerk
sounded horribly dated. 5 years ago we would've said pretty much all 80s
synth-pop and anything that remotely sounded like it was extremely dated, but
look at "electroclash" or "wave" or whatever they're calling it now, Miss
Kittin and Ladytron and Felix and all that. Suddenly it has credibility
because techno producers aren't afraid to use an actual melody once in a
while.

So I wouldn't write off AoN or Yello or Tangerine Dream or anybody else as
sounding permanently dated and more novel than truly clever.  Well alright,
maybe YMO... :)

Mike

--
  Mike J. Brown   |  http://skew.org/~mike/resume/