Hi All,

I’m not a big one for forwards but I feel compelled to let everyone know
what a great place Neptune Records in Royal Oak Michigan is.  I’m
sharing it with the list now that their website is up and running to so
that the information is valuable to everyone, not just those in the
geographic 313.

Let me also tell you that I’m in no way associated with this store.  I’m
just very happy with their service, selection, and vibe.  I’m a happy
customer and I reckon others might be interested in knowing about places
to share a good experience.

Any of you long time Royal Oak visitors may remember the awesome Blitz
records which sat near the train tracks across from where the hamburger
shop used to be.  Blitz is where I got turned on to Zoviet France,
Current 93, Nurse with Wound, and the other more experimental sides of
electronics.  They were small, but the staff was friendly (trivia, at
one point the cash reg was manned by Goober from Goober and the Peas,
and I think Mr. Sicko did some editing of his mags in the back offices
from time to time) and they were always willing to make suggestions to
branch me out and supplement the sounds I was hearing back in 1989 down
at the Shelter, City Club, and other venues.  I still have a strong
memory of visiting the store one night when the city had lost power…the
staff had taken tea-lights and other candles and placed like 50 of them
all over the store.  They had a little battery powered boom box belting
out Nitzer Ebb and then later His Name Is Alive while I browsed between
the flickering lights.  Not to sound all touchy-feely, but it was
magical.

Neptune regularly gives me similar experiences.  The store is smallish
but filled with a great selection of music.  They love the classic
German sound of the 70’s and are keen purveyors of the more psychedelic
sound makers as well.  There’s room for the indie side of things, and on
occasion, some industrial nuggets find there way into the store.
Anything with a funk or groove, especially with an international flair,
tends to show up on their shelves.  Now all of that blends into their
tidy electronic section where one can always find the latest from labels
like Traum, Kompact, 12k, Bip/Hop, Mego, Hymnem, Planet-µ, Rephlex,
Raster Noton, Skam, Warp, etc.  They stock vinyl and CD of most
everything they carry.  Most importantly, they will knock themselves out
to find stuff that they don’t have.  They’ve succeeded in filling every
special order I’ve ever placed.  I always shop in the store as I’m
local, but for those of you living a distance away, they charge actual
shipping…no service fee.

Enough babbling from me.  I’m attaching their most recent email
newsletter (which I won’t do again, I just wanted to share once and make
sure people are aware of them) and I encourage you to go check out the
store if you’re a local, hit the webpage if you’re far away, and sign up
for the newsletter as it’s informative and has a neat variety of music
for you to consider.

Enjoy!

Leslie Rollins

------------

Hello,

news from the neptune floor:

UPCOMING EVENTS:

ALAN LICHT LIVE reading from his book.

MONDAY, JANUARY 27.

This is a Drag City Sponsored Event.

NJ/NY guitarrorist, journalist (frequent WIRE contributor) and outsider
culture junkie/historian Alan Licht stops by the store to read excerpts
from his fabulous book An Emotional Memoir of Martha Quinn (Drag City).
You will witness an entertaining and enlightening perspective on music
and culture's cross pollination. Come down and bring money for your very
own copy. Admission is free. Should start around 6:30 pm. Neptune
Records is located at 503 S. Main St. / Royal Oak / Michigan.

SLEATER-KINNEY tickets available now.  No service charge, cash only.
$14.00. Appearing at the Magic Stick, Wednesday, February 19th.  All
ages.  General Admission.

NEW, IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP:

(Quantities are limited and may sell out before being placed on our
website. Please order early via phone (248) 586. 0519 or email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED])

HEIB:  Cargo  12"  9.99  (Auftrieb)
Second single in a short span of time from reinstated Auftrieb imprint.
The latest offers up brooding atmospheres that still manage to supply a
groove kick.  Meoldic, heady, twisted.

RICHARD ASHCROFT:  Science Of Silence  CDS / 7"  9.99/5.99  (Hut) Second
single from comeback album Human Conditions features exclusive track
"Get Up Now".

ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE:  Magical Power From Mars Vol. 1: Ziggy Sitar Dust
Raga CDS  9.99  (Important) First volume of three to be released in the
set.  Each volume is limited to 1000 copies and each has a deluxe 3D
Lenticular cover based on a painting by Bob Vido.  Each part is
approximately 20 minutes long.

THE ORB:  Kompassion  12"  8.99  (Kompakt)
Ambient electronic legends with a release on Germany's most prolific
label of concise hipshake and cool digital ether.

MAGNET MAGAZINE:  Issue 57  3.50

KINSKI:  Airs Above Your Station  dbl LP  14.99  (Strange Attractors
Audio House) Fits nicely between '70's cosmic rock like Cluster and Eno,
classic innovators like Loop and My Bloody Valentine and today's crop of
dynamos like Mogwai and Bardo Pond.  CD version to be released on Sub
Pop January 21st.

TRUE LOVE ALWAYS:  Clouds  CD  13.99  (Teenbeat)
Contemporary bossanova pop with Flin Flon member plus Mark Robinson
guesting.  Enhanced CD with short documentary on the band.

LTD:  No. 3  12"  9.99  (Trapez)

CONRAD SCHNITZLER:  Gelb  LP  15.99  (Very Good Records) Recorded in
1974, one year after Blau.  More cosmic soundtracks from ex-Tangerine
Dream member.

THE FLAMING LIPS:  Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Part 1 7" picture
disc 8.99  (Warner Bros.) A Side: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots pt. 1
Album Version.  B Side: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots pt. 1 AOL
Sessions.

thank you,

neptune records
503 s. main st.