----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis DeSantis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 2:31 PM
Subject: (313) Re: (tech-house) Bad music...Good people!

> Phil Williams wrote:
> >
> > If you're a performer, you are a focus for people, and you have to be at
> > least civil to everyone... regardless of how many times you've been
> > approached, or how whacked out you are after playing 150 gigs on the
hop...

> Anecdote:
>
> Sometimes, for whatever reason, I get booked to play live sets where I'm
> sandwiched in between bone-crushingly brutal techno djs.  If you know my
> music, you'll realize immediately that this is going to set up some
> cognitive dissonance problems - next to 3 hours of 140bpm loop techno,
> my music sounds kind of like "West Side Story."
> And inevitably, someone always comes up to me during my set and asks me
> to play something harder.  Last month at SO 36 I had a girl THROW BALLS
> OF PAPER at me to get my attention, so she could tell me to play harder.
> But I always stay cool - I politely explain that I'm doing a live set,
> not a DJ set, and that I only have my own music and this is pretty much
> what it sounds like.
> I see my role as a performer as one of servant, not as idol.  If someone
> wants to talk to me, critically or complimentarily, I'm more than
> willing to listen.  That's part of my job.
>
> My $.02,
> --
> Dennis DeSantis
> www.dennisdesantis.com

reminds me of a funny story: time before last that hawtin was here in LA i
was standing next to him as my buddy notices this guy trying to give richie
hand-written notes on 3x5 cards... "where is your 909?", "do a 16-bar
breakdown".  what?

wallet, check.  ID, check. car keys, check.  3x5 cards and pencil so I can
give the DJ notes, check.