Coming off the stunningly beside-the-point thread on IDM about gay electronica
in which I just participated, here's another one:

I read science fiction novels all the time, always have, probably always
will.  It's up there on my list of grand obsessions along with electronic
music.  In fact I frequently put on techno and read sci fi.  Both techno
and sci fi are redolent of the same sort of inverted nostalgia for the
future:  We're in the future now, and it has both surpassed the Sci Fi
I was reading 30 years ago, and come out a lot meaner and sadder.

Anyways, I've read a couple of books lately that touch on Detroit:

"The Impossible Birds" Patrick O'Leary
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id=52798875

I won't synopsize because synpopses of Sci Fi novels always sound absurd
and dorky, but it is concerned with a weird virtual-reality  afterlife
brought about by aliens who appear as hummingbirds.  The end of the book
takes place in and around Detroit, including Greektown and the RenCen.
A pivotal character lives in a house out in the burbs that for some
strange reason reminded me of Ron Murphy's old place.

"Accidental Creatures" Anne Harris
http://www.epiphyte.net/SF/accidental-creatures.html

Just getting into this. Pretty wicked kinda post-cyberpunk dystopia
set in Detroit. The Fisher Building plays a large role, and the pitting
of a large corporation against a disenfranchised population is a not-too-subtle
allegory for Detroit and the auto industry.

Anne Harris according to the jacket copy lives in Royal Oak, and she really
nails the feel of Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on 313
knows her -- if you do tell her she done good.