On 3/9/03 8:36 PM, "Kookie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was there.  It was my first time seeing the movie and I liked his version
> alot.  It added alot to the film, especially considering the topic of
> machines and automation.  The repetitive beats complimented the theme
> nicely.

I also made the trip out to Detroit Historical for this.  Jeff's edit of the
film is pretty substantial, from an original running time of about 2.5 hours
to just over an hour or so (the Moroder version was 80 minutes).  The first
10 minutes are transformed from a series of motion shots of the city to more
of a layering of stills.  I found that dialogue was pared back to the
minimum necessary to retain the basic plot.

The soundtrack married well, particularly scenes in the Fredersen Garden,
the workers at the machine, and Futura's cabaret dance.  I found myself
wishing that Jeff would compose additional and varied tracks to fill out the
original length of the film, because I feel it suffered from heavy editing.

The Techno exhibit was nicely done for the space allowed.  Particularly
liked the wall of bios, and the original Tom Thewes piece for DEMF 2000.
It's more brilliant than I remember.  If you're going to visit for DEMF this
year, make sure to stop in at the museum.
--
im