A few years back I managed to get four metal shelving
units (about 10 feet high by 6 feet wide) that were
built specifically to house records; bought them from a
Salvation Army who had had them donated to them by the
CBC (Canadian national radio).  They did the trick
perfectly, but they were extremely heavy, and,
literally, someone got hurt every time I moved, even
professional movers.  Moving those things up and down
stairs involved four people with ropes and trolleys; I
can't count the number of bumps, bruises, sprains, and
close-to-strained shoulders that happened over the
years every time I moved.  When I moved out of my last
place into my new one, I just went back to milk crates
cos they're so much easier to deal with, even if there
are a ton of them (plus with my ex-girlfriend screaming
at me the whole time I was moving out and making things
hellish, the goal was to get out of there as quickly as
possible! :)). It was funny, when my Dad helped me move
into my new place, there was one truckload for my records,
and the second truckload was everything else.  You
don't really realize how many records you have until
you have to move them.  I've generally always had two
bedrooms and used the second bedroom for studio and
records, but now that I'm on my way to getting married,
I've got my better half to account to and she wants to
move to a 1 bedroom to cut costs, so I might have to
start doing some culling of the vinyl herd. It is
definitely important to store the records in protective
sleeves to keep out the dust, regardless of how you
store 'em. If you use metal storage, remember that
thinner metal will bend, but it lighter and easier to
move, whereas heavier metal won't, but is much harder
to move.  Ditto with wood; lighter wood won't hold many
records, so you'll need to find a balance.  Hope this
helps.  Take care. Andrew

albums out now: Sprung (http://bip-hop.com)
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized
(http://staalplaat.com)
Highest Common Denominator (http://pieheadrecords.com)
Physical and Mental Health (http://dialrecords.com)
74'02 (split with Hypo) (http://tsunami-addiction.com)
check Cognition (http://techno.ca/cognition)
for upcoming appearance and release updates