or if you're a bit more imaginative, you can create
carefully crafted pieces of audio, tones and whatnot, and
control them from the turntables...  playing pre-written
music isnt the only use for turntables you know :)

-Joe

On Monday, March 24, 2003 12:05 AM,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Interesting observation, I thought there may be a
generational divide
among
> DJs on Final Scratch, but I don't think there is.
> For instance, I know Kevin Saunderson uses it, and is a
fan, but then
Marco
> Bailey is not interested.
> A few months ago when Francois K was out I asked him
about it and he made
> the interesting point that FS actually isn't that
innovative in that it
> doesn't really bring anything radically new to the
culture, conceptually,
> when that is in fact what dance music needs to evolve.

on one level that's true; minus the digging through the
hard drive rather
than digging through the crates, you end up with the same
experience.  but
where it does bring new things to the culture is in how you
choose to use
it.  play a track that's an hour old (and may have
originated anywhere on
the globe), play your own personal remix of anything, have
access to
thousands of records rather than, at most, about 200 (and
avoid breaking
your back in the process), program your sets with great
attention to the
venue, mood, whatever...

it does not radically change dj culture straight out of the
box.  but it
does give djs a chance to radically change how they
approach their work,
which you could argue brings greater humanity to the whole
process.

> ----------
> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >To: 313@hyperreal.org
> >Subject: Re: (313) Remix - letters to editor
> >Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 6:28 PM
> >

> > blindly embracing anything prolly aint the best policy.
 but that has
> > nothing to do with the fact that it's an advance.  if
it's not one you
> > choose to utilize, great.  no one's saying it's a
requirement.

> > the hardware and the skills required to dj are exactly
the same -- so
> > how does this detract from the human(ity) interface
with the technology?

> > On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 03:13  PM,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone see the newest issue of Remix magazine (Massive
Attack cover)?
> >> There are a few reactions to Chris Cowie's statements
about doing away
> >> with
> >> vinyl in favor of mp3s and Final Scratch. Not sure
what issue his
> >> statements were in - however - one letter writer was
from the Detroit
> >> area
> >> and mentioned how the philosophy behind techno music
was less about
> >> blindly
> >> embracing technological "advances" and more about the
humanity behind
> >> the
> >> machine. I still have the issue with the letter but
not the issue that
> >> the
> >> writer was responding to. If anyone does have it could
they pass it
> >> along
> >> as it seems Remix's website doesn't have it available.
> >>
> >> I'd like to hear other people's responses to this
topic but if it
> >> degrades
> >> into a vinyl vs. Final Scratch argument then I'm
bowing out.