----- Original Message -----
From: "J. T." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 3:01 PM
Subject: (313) soul on wax #3 "spirit of corea"

> speaking of jazz...
>
> everybody pick up soul on wax #3! first s.o.w. in what...4 years?? ha!
> produced by russ gabriel i should mention...

Yes you should! :)

> anyways, it's absolutely beautiful house/jazz that sounds even a bit like
> fela kuti it is so buoyant and beautiful and catchy and ahhhh...deep. live
> sax, flute, and guitar -- but i don't think it's quite as noodly and
> laidback as russ' recent mostly live album on out of the loop (or is it?
> toe? were there any songs as good on there?) it's just not to be missed.
> only the 1 track and a pretty similar remix on the 12", but it is very
worth
> it!...i'm not really a jazz dowg myself so seriously...don't sleep! soul
on
> wax returns!

Yeah. 2nd'd, 3rd'd and 4th'd. The album is just as good though. If it
doesn't catch you at first, keep trying. Just about everything he's done
since 2000 has been pretty stunning in my book. Here's a list of most of his
recent output (other than Spirit of Corea and the album), all of which I
can't recommend any higher, except the Wilkommen EP which I rate the highest
of all these, but not by much over these two most recent ones.

russ gabriel
- offenbach west
- out of the loop
russ gabriel
- flip down to break ep
- emoticon

russ gabriel
- willkommen ep
- out of the loop

russ gabriel
- now i can ep
- nepenta

russ gabriel
- we will be turning
- out of the loop

russ gabriel
- he's the man ep
- out of the loop

Remixes:

purveyors of fine funk
- stigmata jackson
- nepenta

And the recently re-released:

black strobe
- paris acid city
- virgin/source

> website listed on the record but it's not setup
> yet..http://www.soulonwaxcom.com/

Maybe try http://www.russgabriel.com/soulonwax/index.html for now. Out of
the Loop is going very strong (if that wasn't evident above).

Tristan
=======
Text/Mixes: http://www.phonopsia.co.uk
Music: http://www.mp313.com