----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew MacQueen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Phonopsia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "313" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 2:19 AM
Subject: RE: (313) That Sloppy Ass Broken Beat Mix I Been Saying I'll Do

> > Unfortunately, this mix didn't turn out like I'd hoped.
> > It's kinda sloppy in a couple of parts. Hopefully you
> > don't think any of my mess is too disastrous. I've never
> > actually tried to mix an entire set of broken beat stuff before.
>
> ha... no worries!  Such is the life of someone who chooses to mix this mad
style!  it's a cross to bear i hear ya  ;)   i feel like some of it does
work well for a fast cut-n-paste fashion, while others (esp. the stringy
ones) you can really ride and wring them out over some acapella beats.  But
to always take the safe transitions, intros and outtros is just too boring.

Yeah. I wouldn't have been happy with that at all, although the mix into NY
Boom wound up coming off like that b/c I just ran out... :/

> I have yet to hear a super-locked-down-tight mix of something with this
much differing percussion signatures and polyrhythmic breaks and disjointed
action going on...  and in the cases where I know the tracks being played, I
can often hear even the most experienced DJs taking a mixture of risks and
'safely mixes' (ha) the ambient or beatless break areas as places to 'take'
to the next new track, Orrin Walters included.  And there is a time for
both.  I'd say such is the way of the style, I mean it's BROKE-N !  anyone
who says they can lock a set super tight of this style isn't playing the
craziest stuff in the genre... which to me is the most interesting.  Not the
noodley, faux-jazz wonky stuff, (which i am fading fast on) but the real
experimental 'technosoul' side of it, like mustang, titonton, domu,
aardvarck(!difficult!), rednose, genre, numbian mindz, seiji, nu era, son of
scientist, moonstar, total science, etc.

This is both my experience of it clubbing, and my inclination musically. I
think most of the tracks on this mix reflect that sort of track selection
too. I especially wanted a lot of it to have a sting-y or tech-y edge and
wanted to get a lot of stripped-down stuff in there (for [313] appeal), even
if it wasn't all as minimal as some of those more recent Seiji remixes, like
his remix of Titonton which almost seems to be going too far in the other
direction towards a broken beat tracky-ness??? Weird. I mean there's nothing
wrong with it, but it kills the appeal that draws me to this stuff if it
isn't very lively.

> hats off for not pre-planning every mix out for the whole thing... that is
so BORING.  personally i can never do the same mix more than once or twice
max, life (behind 1200's) is too short and there's too much fun in riding
the randomness of it all, flipping it over and trying out that b-side you
never really gave proper attention to, experimentation, etc.

I must confess that the first few mixes are pretty well sequenced, but I'll
do that live often too. I look at it like planning out the first 10 plays of
a football game. It gives you a chance to read things and settle into
comfort before getting too distracted by an open slate. Also, I must confess
that typically when putting together a mix, I will work at it for a long
time until I'm perfectly happy with the track selection (since I think of it
as a mixtape more than a DJ mix still), and this is why I typically never
get a mix done, because I will never get happy with both the track selection
and the mixing, always shuffling things around for each take...

> BTW - Brian Gillespie has pulled off some pretty heroic broken beat
flavored DJ sets in detroit but he'll also tell ya the sh!t ain't easy and
frankly i think it is (and should be) mixed with other genres to really
stand out and create impact..

Hehe. That's why I was so surprised by trying to do this. I've always been
adding it into house and techno sets, which I think works really well as a
transition, or just some spice. I'll probably never try another all-broken
beat set again, unless I get booked for it or something.

> [Aaron Shin]'s on the hunt for the new white lables like Ted Nugent on
opening day of bowhunting season.  :P

ROFLMAO!

Anyway, thanks for all the reassuring comments. Was beginning to wonder if I
made the right decision.

Tristan
=======
Text/Mixes: http://www.phonopsia.co.uk