From: "Dave Pinter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 6:39 AM
Subject: (313) Jelinek/Fehlmann NYC review

> I seem to remember someone asking for a review on the Jelinek/Fehlmann
performance last night here in NYC. Here's my review of the line up:

>  MIMM:
> These four guys started off and two were on laptops and the other two were
on guitars. The hour or so 'set' was pretty freeform and moved between
subtle clicky beats and dare I say more ambient moments. Some interesting
sounds here and there from the laptop guys but the guitars didn't really
blend into the mix that well. The sound levels seemed really low during the
whole set and frequently the chatter of the crowd overpowered their
performance. I would say they were a good choice for the intro.

> Velocette:
> Pretty much straight up tech house sounding stuff. Interesting moments
here and there, but the set never seemed to go any where. His set seemed to
end when the sound guy cut him off...very weird. Jelinek and Fehlmann were
setting up on stage and both looked at each other and shrugged their
shoulders. Not a bad set just didn't really seem to push any new ground.
Miss those old Reflective days.

> Jan Jelinek:
> Looked forward to this as we here in NYC were treated to performances by
most of the ~scape lineup last summer. Jan started off with a great Gramm
cut, not sure of the title. The crowd seemed to lock in. Most of the other
cuts were from the latest ~scape release and were modified and extended. The
sound level got bumped up for his set and made all the difference. The one
piece that was missing was the visuals....there were none the entire
evening. Worth checking this guy out though.

> Thomas Fehlmann:
> Fehlmann's set was as predicted here on the list. Yea it was good and he
did play all the latest stuff including a cut from the orb's Kompassion EP,
but there was little devation. I think the sound system might have not been
strong enough as well. Glad to have seen him but memories of orb
performances where they really wreck their tracks (in a good way) live left
me a bit empty. Maybe not quite the laptop dancer as Stewart Walker (who
also was in town last night) but he does have some moves.