Andrew Hodgson wrote:
I got to thinkin'...is there any links between the techno scene in Detroit and the hiphop scene? Been listening to Jaydee loads lately, and I'm sure I heard a reference to techno in one of his tracks (NOT slagging it off either, like Eminem) and his track 'Big Booty Express' (off the Welcome to Detroit LP on BBE) seems like a homage to Kraftwerk and techno...?

here are a couple of links i can think of:

UR and hipnotech; hipnotech is a label that's released a couple of [so far 7?] 12"s with instrumental hiphop. they're supported by UR.

shake; anthony shakir does[did?] production for several detroit hiphop acts, and often produces hiphop himself.

that hiphop compilation on sublime; featuring tracks by shake, dan bell, robert hood and more detroit techno producers.

in that same veign: a couple of songs that came out through intuit-solar; that dan bell hiphop track on the first intuit-solar 12" is so good!

antidote; planet e side-label, 4? releases so far, featuring lacksydaisycal, dwele, slum village and more.

dwele; featuring both on recloose's 'i can't take it' and several slum village tracks, and soon his own album.

dabrye; produces hiphop as dabrye, and house/techno as ... [rob theakston can probably provide with more info on this artist]

slum village 'S.O.U.L.'; from the album 'trinity' samples, or uses the same sample as 'sharivari' if i'm not mistaken

channel one 'technicolor'; was sampled for a hiphop track by sir mix-a-lot.

collaboration between carl craig and kariem riggins for the detroit experiment.

that's all i can come up with for now, but there are probably a couple more links.

jurren