I like the term "third wave dj" actually! :)

Lots of recorded ghetto-tech mixes are done in hotmix style, that's
true, but it kind of remains that the ghetto-tech scene is probably the
most hostile to new techniques and methods for DJing. You can just
imagine the chorus of disapproval on the ghettotech.de forum if, god
forbid, Godfather was spotted with a laptop hidden behind the decks! But
at the same time the overwhelming majority of ghetto-tech mixes are made
digitally.

When you are doing a high-tech mix, though, you do have to think like a
ghetto-tech DJ - what noise can I put in *right here* that will make
this a bit better? What can I personally do to keep the listener
interested during this rather boring bridge part of a track? Should I
just let this whole track play out, or shall I whip out a second copy
and cut straight to the good bit at the end?

That sort of thing needs to be going through your head all the time if
you're using digital technology, I would say. If you find yourself just
sitting there with mouse hovering over track title for five minutes,
waiting for the tune to play out, you're not really getting into the
spirit of things...

This thread is a bit on the waffly side, but f*ck it; with everyone
going to Movement this weekend, the list would just die on its feet if
there weren't a few us prepared to step into the breach and start
talking bo**ocks!

Brendan