Subject: RE: (313) Muzik (was 7 Magazine)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:40:02 +0100
From: "Brendan Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313" <313@hyperreal.org>

I'd definitely agree - I remember when the first edition of Muzik came
out, and they were giving copies away at the 1995 Tribal Gathering. By
that time I'd kind of stopped reading magazines for information on the
music *I* liked, but occasionally bought magazines like Muzik or Mixmag
for the sake of gauging the state of the larger dance and electronic
music scenes.

As the years went by, however, the amount of "music talk" on the
internet grew to the extent that I could get a feel for the state of the
wider dance/electronic music scene more quickly, more cheaply and more
effectively than I could from buying the mass-circulation magazines.
That combined with the general descent of these mags into
lifestyle/drugs coverage eventually led to me not buying any magazines
whatsoever.

I *did* buy a copy of Sleaze Nation earlier this year, but only because
I was in it! :) From over-the-shoulder readings on trains and tubes,
though, I get the sense that Jockey Slut is the only one of the
mass-circulation magazines in the UK that's stuck to its guns.

Magazines like NME and Mojo aren't just getting readers from older
ex-dance-music people, though, I don't think - rock music as a whole is
being pushed by the majors as the "hot new thing" and so I wouldn't
underestimate the amount of 17 or 18-year-olds who are buying them, and
who probably see electronic/dance music as a bit of an old person's
thing! (I have certain opinions on this whole rock-renaissance thing
too, which I won't bother to share with this list ;)

Brendan