Oh dear, sounds like I should definitely have been a bit more patient since all those tracks qualify as techno in my book.

Agreed that Freddy Fresh was good - really heavy breaks + an absolutely fantastic moustache

Forgot to mention Bugz In The Attic - they were excellent, really maintaining a solid groove throughout their set despite at least 3 different DJs spinning. Hadn't heard them do their thing before and was actually pretty impressed. The whole laidback yet driving vibe of their set actually slightly reminded me of the early days of Speed at the Mars Bar.

As for Alucidnation, admittedly he's not got the greatest stage presence, but in the right setting his live shows can be really affecting, then again I am quite a militant ambient lover.....

If we're talking anodyne then Nitin Sawhney was a personal low point for me, apart from the backstage loos.

D.

At 03:48 pm +0100 6/8/03, David Hampson wrote:
 >>but Francois K was a bit dissapointing...no techno!

You should have hung around - he played a few obvious things which are still techno as far as I am aware - Strings of Life by Rhythim Is Rhythim, Black Water by Octave One (its still techno even though he played the instrumental), that new Carl Craig and Laurent Garnier one... Maybe now they are well known they are no longer techno!?! Mainly house set though, but that's what I was expecting...

Not a great deal of techno on the bill at the Chill: Freddy Fresh was my pick of the weekend playing lots of sample-ridden electro mash-ups that I'm sure will never ever get cleared... Then Mike Paradinas played a great old skool selection on Sunday afternoon.... Mr Scruff was as ever good though it would be nice if he would step aside and let someone else head the bill for once... Hexstatic get better and better everytime I see them - I think its a case of computer technology finally catching up with them! Their recorded material tends to be a little weak but when they're mixing up Fools Gold and WFL with Public Enemy and that Boots Are Made For Walking mashup and the Chic remix they cannot do wrong :)

As usual it was good fun but it would be nice to see a few of the no talent mates club being thrown off the bill (that Alucination guy is particularly weak - had to sit through one of his limp sets at their winter festival once - and I was not suprised to see his name up there yet again) and a few more interesting acts being added during the daytime...

Cheers

David