I don't have Tronica, but I bought Audio Sponge when it first came out...sounds like Hosono and Takahashi picking up right where they left off pre-Technodon (mid 80s technopop). Haruomi has the best licks - if Yukihiro is left to his own devices he veers off into sappy lounge stuff which can be tepid at best and just plain bad. Luckily Hosono is there to keep him on track for the most part (in Audio Sponge, at least). BTW, I think Ryuchi has joined Sketch Show onstage for a one-off or two. Say what you will; Sakamoto has those great neo-classical lines and Asian motifs, but Hosono has *always* been the future funk and the unsung powerhouse of YMO IMO. Together they were magic indeed - but I find Hosono's solo stuff more consistently interesting. Check Philharmonic and SFX for some great contextual fill-in behind Sketch Show.

                                                                        jeff

Just reading a review of Sketch Show's new release "Tronica" - anyone have
a listen to this yet?
the Wire calls it "cutting edge electronica fused to pop literacy." There's
some vocal and ambient sections and some remixes by Cornelius and there is
a video (on the CD - not sure if there is a vinyl edition of this).

Sketch Show is former Yellow Magic Orchestra members Haruomi Hosono and
Yukihiro Takahashi - Ryuchi Sakamoto being the only YMO member not involved
in this project

did anyone catch them @ Sonar?

MEK