PM> was listening to my ole purposemaker comp last nite. Jeff was definitely
PM> onto something with those tracks. they are very funky & abstract, deep
PM> too. Interesting to hear tracks like 'casa' and 'the dancer' where the
PM> kick is surprisingly low in the mix and the groovy loops & percussion
PM> are the main elements. kinda like it's upside down or something. very
PM> techno. I have managed to avoid being exposed to much in the way of
PM> looped bangers but if these PM tracks are what started that trend, boy
PM> did they get it wrong.

What Mills got really good at was restrained intensity.  Sure, Mills
could pummel you senseless, but where's the fun in that?  Instead he
dances at arm's length, staring you down, and only jabbing when you
least expect it.  The biters nearly always missed that restraint,
opting instead for unrelenting intensity, which is ultimately much more
tiring to listen to.

What's that one track towards the end of that compilation? . . . 12 or
14 is the number . . . there are like three or four filtered chord stabs
in the whole thing, but the anticipation that builds between them is
powerful stuff.  Like a distant machine gun firing 95% blanks . . .
just when you get your nerve back *zwip* another live round nicks your
ear and a little phosphorus jumps down your shirt.

The art of hard techno is in knowing when to hold back, and when to
come out firin' . . .

the other Prince of techno
Brian "balistic" Prince
http://www.bprince.com - art and music