> >>'Buy Vinyl' ;-)

Amen.

> ..... more serioulsy, how does copy-prevention work? I'm
> envisaging putting in a cd which plays on my cd deck at home,
> the phono out goes to the mixer, the mixer has a record out
> which can go to md or computer - if it plays it can be
> copied. How does any copy protect stop me? (I'm assuming it
> will only work on pcs?)

Yes, you can still do an audio copy of a CD that has copy protection.
What copy protection tries to do is to prevent you from doing a digital
-> digital copy.  You can still run the cd through a DAC and copy it
that way.

Simply, copy protection works buy putting deliberate errors on the cd.
So when trying to do a digital -> digital copy, the software will detect
an error an not be able to do a copy.  However, when playing a cd the cd
playing will give it a 'nearest guess' and thus the cd will play.

This does mean that audio quality of copy protected cds is inferior to
none copy protected cds but the industry doesn't care about this.  Never
mind providing the consumer with quality when you can squeeze them to
get the maximum amount of money.