September 3 marks a sad anniversary--the passing of
Detroit's James Stinson at the age of 33 from heart
complications.

I remember clearly the day I heard the news; I ended up
spending the day listening to my Drexciya records over
and over.  The raw power and passion of "Positron
Island" has been not just one of my favorite Drexciya
songs, not just one of my favorite electronic music
songs, but one of my favorite songs of any genre since
the first time I heard it; just as Drexciya remains one
of my favorite bands--regardless of genre.  Though I
have been very lucky and have had the priviledge of
interviewing many of my electronic music "heroes" over
the years, my interview with James stood out to me
right after I spoke with him--and continues to resonate
even more so since his passing.  After hearing the
news, I re-listened to the tape of that interview from
December 13, 1999 and was reminded of how many plans
Stinson had--to tour, to release even more material, to
build relationships with those who connected with his
music.  Stinson's music continues to be released even
after his death, such was his level of quality productivity.
 And we know from the Submerge mailouts that the spawn
of Drexciya are hitting vinyl.  But what struck me most
about my interview with Stinson was that, despite the
incredible focus he obviously had on music, more
importantly, he was always able to achieve a balance.
James told me that music was the *third* most important
thing in his life.  I asked him what was ahead of
music; "My family and God," he replied.  I am not a
religious person, but I do understand the importance of
family, and today, as I did the day I heard the news, I
thought of James' family and wished them peace and
strength.

We now have only James' music to remember him by.  He
was only here on earth for 33 years, but he managed to
give us so much joy in the time he was here, and we can
continue to keep his memory alive by thinking of him
whenever we play and enjoy the music of Drexciya in the
future.  I am sure James is now in that calm and
tranquil place he fondly spoke of--somewhere over the
Red Hills.  Rest in peace, James Stinson.  Take care.
Andrew Duke  PS As a tribute to this fallen Drexciyan
warrior, I will be posting something special soon.

out now: Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Take Nothing For Granted http://acidfake.tk
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com
Waveforms: Halifax Electronic Music Compilation
http://cognitionaudioworks.com