Surgeon played a fantastic set tonight at Plastic People. Absurdly loud, but
all over the electronic music spectrum, including some weird Surgeonized
P-Funk track (I think), The Stone Roses 'Fools Gold', two Nitzer Ebb tracks,
one of which was 'Join in the Chant', the Carl Craig's Drums Suck remix of
Dave Angel's 'Take Off' (or is it 'Airborne'???), some crazy nearly-gabber
Aphex Twin, D.H.S.'s 'The House of God', New Order's 'Blue Monday' (the
first time I've actually enjoyed this out in a club in years), Tres
Demented, Kraftwerk's 'Home Computer' (never getting to the vocal), teased
us with bits of At Les flute that never culminated in the song itself, loads
of electro and IDMish electro, some acidic techno, a lot of Surgeonized
edits of tracks that I can't remember, culminating in some weird
gabber/noisecore thing leading into something I can't remember and then a UR
track that has huge strings that reminds me of the beginning of Laurent
Garnier's 'Dance to the Music'. There were even a couple of housey moments
in there. He mixed fast and long throughout, was as tight as you'd expect
from Surgeon, with a few tempo changes, sacrificing none of his precision or
coherence to the breadth of this set. Surprisingly he played very few of his
own tracks that I could spot, which is a complete turn-around from when I
saw him in New York in 2001. Somehow he fit all of this into two hours.

A couple of times in the set Regis would get on the microphone and scream
like a profane madman. One bit ended with 'learn your lesson'. Although I
didn't catch it, I'm told he was also whispering things about 'your
daughter' softly in the background. Also, the Werk guys who threw the party
(and the Ghostly party last month) all had nice PA's to warm things up. The
only downside is that there were times (particularly during the gabber and
noise bed bit at the end) when the (easily abusable) sound was utterly
damaging, and throughout most of the night it was a bit too loud, even if it
was still clear. If you haven't seen him in the last year, run don't walk
because he has absolutely taken his sets to a whole new level, as evidenced
by this set and his possibly even better set at ATP this Spring. The man is
really pushing boundaries. He, not Hawtin, is the poster boy for Final
Scratch, and what it can empower you to do. Y'all in the Pool are in for a
treat tomorrow!

Tristan
=======
http://www.phonopsia.co.uk