On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, RAW2019 wrote:

> a nice interview
> i only don't really follow him on the FS story
> allthough i understand his point of view on suffering on getting a
> collection
> is has nothing to do with FS from where i'm looking at it.
> but maybe i don't understand ..
>

> RAW

interviewing is a SCIENCE.  nick should be commended for getting it right
here.

(as a sidenote, tristan isn't the nature of the internet ephemeral?  i
remember this dope web magazine called FEED.  disappeared into the void
with the QUICKNESS.  overload is gone, but it'll bleed into to something
else...just like FEED bled into places like Salon and even Slate.)

as far as FS goes...

FS is the thing that makes DJs able to forego the work of building a
collection through blood, sweat, tears, and loot.  And in as much as that
process winnows out (to a certain extent) people who aren't that serious
about DJing as a craft, Theo thinks (according to my reading of the
interview) that something very very important is being lost.

He's right...but also wrong.

People ARE now able to just take an entire record collection, or even
recreate an entire record collection with a tiny fraction of the effort
previously required.  And some of those people are no doubt doing it just
because they can.  And their art suffers for it.  Speaking technically,
you learn something about the craft of DJing from blending two tracks BY
HAND that you don't necessarily get by tweaking a couple of BPM knobs.

BUT at the same time when the means of production is opened up to the
public and made democratic think about what you gain.  You gain access to
all of the tracks that previously needed a 19th level Wizard to find.  You
gain more time to develop your craft because you don't have to go sifting
through bins.  Through the process of competition and cooperation, better
DJing results from the increased interaction of all those cats who are
spinning now.  With the means of production widely distributed you now
have the ability to use found sounds in a much richer fashion.  I've been
toying with the idea of taping my lectures and then using them as
background for my mixes...something that would have been very difficult
just five years ago.

So Theo is channeling Wynton Marsalis here, against an invisible Herbie
Hancock.

He's got some points...but I guess where you stand on them is very much
related to what you think about democracy and art.

peace
lks