I'm browsing Sonicgroove's website and I think the title is actually "Who
is the Aquarian?"
which would make it an Aquarhythms records release - Morgan Geist and Carl
Craig (under the name Bodyjazz Bodyfusion) have released records on this
label along with someone called The Hydronaut.

This would make sense as it sounds like it's in that style camp - so,
anyone know anything about Aquarhythms and the Aquarian?

sorry for all the confusion, I should have written in down before I left
the house

MEK

                      Michael.Elliot-Knight

                      @fallon.com                  To:       Ken Odeluga
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                   cc:       313@hyperreal.org

                      09/22/03 05:02 PM            Subject:  Re: (313) Re: who
is the aquanaut

> Michael + everyone - if this was answered excuse me: Aquanauts is
> another Stinson (I forget the first name). No info abt what the
> relation is, but there is one. This is in the publicity material. The
> similarity (to Drexciya) is real and to an extent, intended.

Well, actually it doesn't really sound like Drexciya at all.
I'm not talking about the new UR record - this is older and is more melodic
techno/house - not electro-funk at all

I know about the Aquanauts - this is "the Aquanaut"

the vinyl is solid blue with a black label that says "Who is the Aquanaut"
and there is a big white half broken-up question mark on the center of the
label

it really does sound like some deep techno house Larry Heard thing.  There
were some vocals on one track that were sort of in the background - sort of
in a Moodyman way.

I'm almost positive that it came out of Chicago and not Detroit but it's
got that blend of both cities that makes it so hard to pinpoint.

It came in a clear plastic pocket style sleeve (like the NSC picture discs)

I'll have to go home and take a good look at all the info on it (track
listing and such)

>Do you mean PJCMR (or some other similar initials)?

there weren't initials - it had the full name. I'll write it all down and
get back to you.

MEK

                      Ken Odeluga

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:       313@hyperreal.org

                                               cc:

                      09/22/03 04:37 PM        Subject:  (313) Re: who is
the aquanaut

> I found this nice 3 tracker over the weekend - it's on solid blue vinyl
>
> I don't have it in front of me but the title is something like "Who is
> the
> Aquanaut?"
>
> scratched into the run out groove there is a Chicago mastering plant's
> name
>
> sounds like Larry Heard maybe? Reminds me of Alien LP
>
> any info would be great
>
> thanks
> MEK

> Michael + everyone - if this was answered excuse me: Aquanauts is
> another Stinson (I forget the first name). No info abt what the
> relation is, but there is one. This is in the publicity material. The
> similarity (to Drexciya) is real and to an extent, intended.

Re. the mastering plant:

Do you mean PJCMR (or some other similar initials)? Yep, they're in
Chicago, Mills and Hood use them (I think Hood used them first many
years ago, if run-outs of records from '95 are to be believed). I'm
finding it interesting that people in Detroit and even Mike Banks, are
opting to have mastering (?) done by outfits other than Sound
Enterprises (NSC).

On a side note of some trivial interest maybe, here (uk) tonight, they
did this thing on tv about the SAS.

Some bloke who was its first commander (after it was reformed) in the
1950s, had the nickname, 'Mad Mike' Culvert.