[ As posted on the littledetroit.net forum: ]

Hi,
yesterday, september the 3rd, I went to check out Theo Parrish and Reggie
Dokes in Gent (Belgium). So I could as well tell you all how it went.

I got there with my bike at 23h30 or something. Half an hour after the doors
opened. There weren´t that many people there yet. So I stood aside and drank
a coke. A few minutes later, some friends of Deinze came in (Stoica and
Peter). We had a little chat.. and they introduced me to Jonny McIntosh, who
was apparently sitting in the other room (there are two rooms in the culture
club, the location of the party). After having a short chat with this nice
bloke, I went downstairs and saw that theo parrish was standing there with
Stoica. So Stoica introduced me and theo and I chatted for about 30 minutes.
I was just a bit confused... cause I´m like one of the biggest fans you know
and I never met him before, and he was just plain friendly. This guy is just
so devoted to his music. Apparently, he has like this plant in his home in
detroit, but it is dieing, because he just hasn´t the time to give it its
basic needs (a bit of water once in a while)... he´s just spending every
minute of his day on music, you know. More like this guy please!

After that John Osselaer and Hans Veneman from the TechnoTourist crew came
in, and not much later Red D (Bart Van Neste) started his dj set, wich was
filled with classics and new real good tracks (llike the new "aguila" from
dj rolando, wich sended shivers down my spine.. those kinda epic tracks
sound real intense on a big soundsystem). It was a pleasure to listen to his
set. At 1 o' clock, I went to the other room where Reggie Dokes started to
play. I witnessed the first half hour of his set. But it wasn´t that
interesting.. the mixes were not that good.. and he was playing a bit too
much of the mainstream disco for my taste (but then again, I only saw the
first half hour of his set, so it could be that he killed it after that).

the reason why I left Reggie Dokes was to ensure that I wouldn´t miss the
beginning of the theo parrish dj set. Theo came on at 2 o'clock, and he just
rocked the place! Real good selection of disco and house tracks, even some
jack trax (farley etc..). HE pplayed likes theis extremely interesting
unreleased theo parrish (maybe three chairs) track.. 110 bpm, good
bassline.. A LOT of live instrumentation, vocals and all that. Great
building and plotting track. After that he played what sounded to my ears as
a theo parrish edit of "sueno latino". The dope standdard theo beats, over
the buidling melody of the original. Maybe something for Ugly Edits #6? I am
really looking forward to all the yet to be released theo parrish tracks,
cause I can assure you that they sound good... real intense. He is getting
better and better every day, tending to get in the style direction of
"summertime is here", my favourite theo parrish moment till now.
Theo played, as I said, a fine selection of classics (think wood, brass &
steel's funkanova, made in usa - melodies, a fingers inc track, club lonely
from lil' louis (he started his set with this one), probably some baze
tracks, and a sh*tload of other tracks that I forgot about). After 2 hours
he started playing some reggae. I had danced my ass of for the past 3 hours
or something and needed a rest. I went to the other room where Reggie Dokes
allready stopped. Some kinky people resident was delivering the goods. With
a nice selection of deep house tracks. Nice.

Since I was really getting tired at that point, I decided to take my coat
and go home for some sleep (I also had to ride another 30 minutes with my
bike...)..

All in all:
(adapt simpson's comic book store guy voice): "BEST nite EVER".

Really.. can´t remember when I danced like that before. I now know that Deep
House / Chicago House / Detroit Techno + House / Disco / Soul is the best
music to dance to for me. It makes me move my hips.. not like the harder
kind of techno, with just makes me move my head.
The thngs I will remember, besides the good music, is certainly meeting the
people: Theo, Jonny, Hans. All real nice people, KINKY PEOPLE!

Ow.. and there were also some real nice girls dancing in my surroundings,
and that's always a plus.

Cheers,
Maarten - http://www.morthenkiang.com/