LOL - the promiscuous iPod woman who imposes techno upon poor Crandall - hehe!

I kinda like Diana's idea of the young plugging in to check out the senior's Bach & Sinatra ...

of course there are *many* ways of seeing the story. I was amused by the article for several reasons:

the power of technology and music to bond people
the trend-setting potential of a positioned piece in a popular hi-tech culture mag
the babe turning the dude on to techno
the power of people to change technology and the power of technology to change people

lisa  :)

Andrew wrote:
An interesting angle on this:

<quote>
Silent, Subtle Desperation :.

Look at this example of how people are using a mass produced gadget to find meaning in their lives. Life in the so-called information age:

During his regular evening walk, software executive Steve Crandall often nods a polite greeting to other iPod users he passes: He easily spots the distinctive white earbuds threaded from pocket to ears.

But while quietly enjoying some chamber music one evening in August, Crandall's polite nodding protocol was rudely shattered.

Crandall was boldly approached by another iPod user, a 30ish woman bopping enthusiastically to some high-energy tune.

"She walked right up to me and got within my comfort field," Crandall stammered. "I was taken aback. She pulled out the earbuds on her iPod and indicated the jack with her eyes."

Warily unplugging his own earbuds, Crandall gingerly plugged them into the woman's iPod, and was greeted by a rush of techno.

"We listened for about 30 seconds," Crandall said. "No words were exchanged. We nodded and walked off."

The following evening, Crandall saw the woman again. This time, she was sharing her iPod with another iPod regular Crandall had spotted on his walks.
</quote>

This is from Cryptogon.com, interesting website. Seems to be a bit edited from the original though, eh? Still...is it a good point? (Or on topic? ;)

Peace,

Andrew

diana potts wrote:

JESUS! next thing you know children will be plugging
in to hear seniors listen to bach and sinatra!

I think its so neat when writers write free ads for
companies and people and people's companies under the
'news' section.

sarcasticme.

--- lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"She walked right up to me and got within my comfort
field," Crandall stammered. "I was taken aback. She pulled out the
earbuds on her iPod and indicated the jack with her eyes."

Warily unplugging his own earbuds, Crandall gingerly
plugged them into the woman's iPod, and was greeted by a rush of
techno.

[ ]

"She listens to techno and trance and things like
that," he said. "Things I'm completely disconnected from. Stuff I'd
never listen to unless someone is guiding me.... It's interesting.
I've probably bought half a dozen CDs based on what I've heard. It's like
finding a new radio station."

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,61242,00.html