[Warning ... techie stuff approaching.  Danger, Will Robinson!]
[Skip to the bottom 2 paragraphs if you can't stomach it.]

My anti-SPAM software (Spam Assassin 2.60) has been a bit over-zealous
lately, and has bounced a couple of 313 digests as presumed SPAM.

In investigating this, by accident I discovered the reason why there's been
problems for us Digest readers with certain messages from certain posters.
(Ian Cheshire, Come On Down!  This Is Your Life!)

Basically, the problem is that the software ("ezmlm") on "Hyperreal"
that generates the Digests for us 313 digest readers generates said
Digests using an all-plain-text format - commonly signified by

in the MIME settings of the outgoing Digest e-mails (in the mail headers).

This means that for people who read the Digests, their e-mail clients will
treat the entire Digest as being plain ol' text, which ... well, it isn't.

The problem is that some of you lot aren't sending your messages to the
list in this vanilla plain-text format (or, alternately, its non-US-centric
version; namely ``charset="iso-8859-1"'').

Ian's messages, for example, are being sent from his WebMail service with
these MIME settings:

(Note: This is very commonly used - but for including *attachments*!

 Why Ian is getting this setting for his regular messages, I have no clue.
 I suspect his ISP's WebMail is set up "dumb" - to assume that every message
 should be treated as an in-line "attachment" with possibly other
 "attachments".)

This means Ian's "raw" messages are being pulled into the Digests as plain
text, so they end up showing up in the Digests as the raw base64 encoding:

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE:  (313) how do you mix

dG9saWV0cyBmb3IgeW91IHRoZW4gOikNCg0KCS0tLS0tT3JpZ2luYWwgTWVzc2FnZS0tLS0tIA0K
CUZyb206IHBsYWNpZCBbbWFpbHRvOm1hY2hlbHBAZGlyY29uLmNvLnVrXSANCglTZW50OiBGcmkg
[... lots of lines of base64 gibberish ...]

Here's another (different) example - Robert Taylor's messages go out with

The "quoted-printable" means that when his messages appear in the Digest,
they have "quoted-printable" artifacts like "=20" and "=" in the (plain)
text, making them somewhat less readable: