originally posted on the tech-house list:

I've been silent on the best of 2003 list as i was
trying to pick from a bunch of records that i'm not
focused on right now. I'm in winter crazy mode which
lends itself to more introspective sounds and feelings.
so rather than try to put together a list of trax that
may or may not be a true representation (I never count
the number of plays, too drunk), I've decided to say
something that i really feel needs to be said.
I dunno 'bout 2003 but I feel Downlow records may well
be one of the most consistent, as well as consistently
overlooked, labels on earth. recently I posted a review
(or blabber more like) about some delsin records that
were recently released and that got me to thinking
about good techno labels that avoid the cliches of the
techno du jour and stay well into what they believe in.
Downlow is one of those. and though I believe one of
the label heads (minto I think) used to be on list (may
still be may not) I haven't heard much about them here.
Thats a shame. they've released nothing but top quality
stuff by leaders in the game (famous and not) and
judging by the soundbytes online for the next release
"the moderator vs east island" they ain't slowing down.
evidently these guys listen close to what buyers want
as well, I've never seen them release less than 4 trax
on a disc, sometimes I've seen 5 or 6 even. never got a
bad pressing...yet :) and they have full song streaming
soundbytes online at their site. plus they're one of
the few stateside labels to hold it down for original
melodic techno. got that off my chest. phew!

and before anyone asks, NO I don't know the label
owners personally ($tinkworx and minto), NO I am not
affiliated with them in any way except musical taste.
just felt that more people should give props where
they're due, cuz If you won't... who will? plus most
praise nowadays is just blowing sunshine so it's about
time someone spoke from the heart. peace y'all. stay
true. think forward.

anyone got any labels that are dear to the heart/sound
that they feel ain't getting proper exposure? (I'm
always up for new sources of great music) this kind of
topic may be well important to smaller labels in these
days of faltering sales etc. so Speak Up!

Kamal K. Stoddard
Entech
Turner Broadcasting System

**Tangalimlibo had a large and beautiful ox given to
her by her father. That ox was called by her own name.
She took off a piece of her clothing and gave it to the
ox, which ate it.**

Jason Trenholm was born 31 August 1969 and died
1 January 2004.  We met when we were 5 years old;
he was my best friend for the next 29 years.*****
Andrew Duke releases out now:
Take Nothing For Granted http://cognitionaudioworks.com
Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com