On Thu,  5 Feb 2004 15:25:45 -0500, "Thomas D. Cox,
Jr." wrote:

> no matter what its still a better addiction than drugs
> or drink or
> gambling : )

i justify my record collection--(and it is not easy in
the face of friends, fiance, and parents who, every
time i move, plead: "andrew, why don't you get rid of
the--at least some--records!" moving for me has always
been about two steps: #1: a load of all the records,
#2: a load with everything else :))--with the legacy i
want to leave my children (don't have any yet, but in
the future): i want my daughter(s) and/or son(s) to
grow up listening to stevie wonder and mantronix and
public enemy and juan atkins and etc etc; and i want
them to have the records (and my 1200s) when they're
old enough and hopefully they'll pass the records (and
the 1200s) on to their kids when that time comes and so
on and so on.  heck, 99% of these records don't even
exist on cd, and that alone makes them unique.  i
worked at a music store for a couple of years a few
years back (we sold new and used cds) and it was a very
very sad thing to see that the majority of the people
had collections (judging from what was sold) that were
all UNunique ie one averaged person's collection was
very similar to another's and if you had 10 collections
in front of you, there would be about 90% crossover
between them.  i want a unique musical environment for
my kids growing up.  (i had to grow up in a house with
abba, fleetwood mac, supertramp, barbra streisand, etc,
etc; i don't mind fleetwood mac and supertramp, but to
this day, listening to abba and barbra streisand make
me gag!  i still remember the day clearly when i was
babysitting--probably aged 16 or so--for a family one
night and i dug through their record collection and
came upon early genesis, tangerine dream, and frank
zappa records.  wow! what an ear-opener after all that
abba and barbra i had been inundated with whilst
growing up in the duke household!)  i look forward to a
day in the future when my kids are looking back on
their childhood and talk about growing up in a house
where good music was always being played--and on
record, not CD--and talk about stevie wonder,
mantronix, public enemy, juan atkins, et al to their
classmates and do it with JOY, not with the sad
remembrance of being inundated growing up having to
listen over and over to something like the 00's
equivalent of abba or barbra.  so i feel my collection
is not just for me now, it is also for the future--my
future family's future--and to perpetuate the future
memories of these artists.
andrew duke

Jason Trenholm was born 31 August 1969 and died
1 January 2004.  We met when we were 5 years old;
he was my best friend for the next 29 years.*****
Andrew Duke releases out now:
Take Nothing For Granted http://cognitionaudioworks.com
Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com