>FWIW, a person I know works for a major label and is quite heavily
>involved with that label's anti-p2p efforts. He tells me that while the
>majors are confident that the next few years will see legitimate mp3
>services eclipse the illegal ones in terms of visibility and prominence,
>they have effectively "given up" on a certain generation of listeners,
>who they don't think they'll ever really wean away from the illegal
>services (which they know they'll never completely vanquish).

Before I started downloading anything, I would see stats saying that people
who dl their music actually have been shown to buy more then people who
don't. Now of course I read that and thought "the fools have their heads in
their collective arses". Ever since grabbing soulseek for myself (to dl mix
sets) I've started to realize that the tracks and records I've ended up
dl'ing I've also bought. I've 'discovered' several new ARTISTS and LABELS
because of file sharing. I've picked up on many older Bands and Artists that
I probably would not ever have heard before. I now use file sharing to find
records that I then try to hunt down (and buy).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the record companies giving up on my
generation because they don't think we'll ever generate any profit for
them....is a mistake. Does anyone know if these record companies have done
any independant studies on the subject and if so are the findings online
somewhere? I can see them 'ditching' a generation like that if they were
only listening to what the RIAA tells them but I think they would be
surpirsed if they checked up on it themselves (assuming they haven't
already!?).

Trevor Wilkes