I think that there are several reasons why Ken isn't discussed much on the
list
1. not many existing mixes out there - or people just aren't sharing them
2. he didn't leave much behind in way of recorded music
3. not many list members (current) ever got to experience Ken's talent

I think if you wanted to learn more about him you'd have to talk to people
like Terrence Parker, Mike Grant, Norm Talley, etc.
Dan Sicko's "Techno Rebels" I think had some content on Ken

the Jahsonic page and mix #219 on the deephouse page is about as in depth
as anything at the moment

there was (is?) an funding organization that was originally called the Ken
Collier Memorial Foundation - now called Ground Level
they give money to the American Diabetes Association among others

I know that Ken worked with Was (Not Was) on either remixes or productions
as well
there is a Feb 16th release coming out by the way of Was (Not Was) called
"Squeaks" that will feature all of the early dance remixes from 1980-82 and
Ken's will be included so something to look forward to

Al Ester used to play with Ken - anyone have info on him??

MEK

                      "Chris Anglesey"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       <313@hyperreal.org>

                      lworld.com>               cc:

                                                Subject:  (313) Ken Collier
info
                      02/11/04 03:24 PM

I've always been interested in tracing house/techno music's
origins/influences and whenever you hear
about Chicago the names Music Box & Ron Hardy always come up.  Whenever I
hear people speak
about Detroit, however, I always hear the name Ken Collier.  I've not
really
heard much talk about Ken
on this list and was wondering how much he REALLY influenced the local
music
scene.  I know that he
was a big influence on the likes of Derrick May & Terrence Parker but apart
from that little else.
If anyone could set the record straight (and possibly provide links to any
online mixes of his) i'd really
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris.