Mann, Ravinder [CCS] wrote:

Just out of interest....What was the first techno record you bought ?

Mine was Inner City - Big Fun double packed with an Album of remixes. 88 ?? Man that makes me feel old.
Thnks

Rav

I grew up in a small town of less than 500 people called (no joke)
Great Village and thus Halifax (though only about 250 000 people
or so) was the "big city" for me.  I snagged Human League's "Dare"
in 1981 (along with the latest J Geils and Joan Jett that was out
at the time; think they were being played nonstop on the
radio here at the time) and I bought stuff like Depeche Mode,
Fad Gadget, Ministry, Severed Heads, (basically everything on
Nettwerk records at the time), Skinny Puppy, Kraftwerk whenever my parents
went into Halifax (luckily I could listen to Brave New Waves on
national Canadian Radio--CBC and hear stuff like these, Scraping
Foetus Off The Wheel, Nitzer Ebb, etc).  When I got to Halifax
in 1987 there was a store that carried a lot of 12"s and dance
vinyl, so I bought--no lie--practically every single record that
came in.  So I got DJ Pierre remixing Samantha Fox, Kevin
Saunderson remixing the Wee Papa Girls, etc.  But I'd say the
first techno record I bought would have been in 1988 when
I got Techno! The New Dance Sound Of Detroit on Ten
Records out of the UK (thank goodness it was licensed to
Virgin in Canada or else I probably would never have seen it).
I didn't make a conscious effort to buy a techno record that
day, it just was on a totally different level than all the other
records I was buying.  There were also a couple of stores
that opened for a while (before folding due to lack of business)
that carried imports and would order in imports for you, so
I got stuff like Bomb The Bass, S'Express, and a lot of the
early techno and acid stuff that way (before they all got
licensed domestically; always seemed ironic to me that buy
the time the import shop got the record in for me, it would
end up being released domestically a couple of weeks later
at a third the price!).  And one of the local radio stations
played Inner City's "Good Life" in regular rotation when it came out
(think someone else mentioned this today), but unfortunately
that station didn't stick around long (changed to an oldies
station). On a totally different note,
anyone want to come over and help me finish
shoveling out the driveway here? We got 95.5cm of snow
in a 21 hour period 2 weeks ago and I still haven't got
all of that damn driveway shoveled! It's warming up here now
so there's muck and slush everywhere.  Take care. Andrew Duke

--
Jason Trenholm was born 31 August 1969 and died 1 January 2004. We met when we were 5 years old; he was my best friend for the next 29 years.***** Andrew Duke releases out now: Take Nothing For Granted http://cognitionaudioworks.com
Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org