also
Discographies - by Jeremy Gilbert and Ewan Pearson (isn' he half of Slam or something on Soma?) i showed it to my pop music professor at school and he became interested in making it part of the curriculum. nice collection of articles rooted in dance culture focusing on culture and communication etc, kinda academic but well written all the same.

 these might be of interest:
mel cheren 'keep on dancing' is a good read. his ex opened paradise garage
and mel provided the financial backing. covers gay new york dance history,
new york in general and mel settles scores with everybody he's ever met.
worth it alone for the photos of 70s fire island.

for some high theory, i've got a book called 'you better work it'. it
basically covers black new york dance. it reads like a Ph.D. thesis and I
find it too boring to read. but others seem to like it.
james
www.jbucknell.com

             Michael.Elliot-Kn
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             16/03/04 07:21 PM         313@hyperreal.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       (313) looking for something to read

I'm going to order the Jeff Mills DVD from Amazon and I want to get either
another DVD (a music documentary maybe) or a good book
 - I've worn out the spine on both my AMG Electronica and Techno Rebels
books - reading the AMG guide to Soul/R&B

checking my Amazon wish list I've got the following books lined up and
would appreciate feedback if anyone has read them:

"Love Saves the Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture 1970-1979"

"Site of Sound: of Architecture and the Ear"

"Architecture as a Translation of Music"

"Doing Our Own Thing: The Degradation of Language and Music and Why We
Should, Like, Care"

"Clubbing: Clubbing Culture and Experience"

"Beyond the Borders - Crossover in Creative Culture"

If anyone has any other good suggestions - I'm not really interested in
reading any "rave history/culture" books
I've read Simon Reynolds book already

I love any books that cross over the worlds/disciplines of music with
greater cultural/social studies, architecture, etc.

either that or some really brilliant DVD (Standing in the Shadows of
Motown, A Great Day in Harlem, etc.)

taking suggestions

MEK

ForwardSourceID:NT000089CA